PHILOSOPHICAL BELIEFS: The purpose of this policy is:
- To encourage student/athletes to make a strong commitment to academics and athletics;
- To encourage student/athletes to conduct themselves in a manner which brings credit to themselves and Lincoln High School;
- To promote the development of self-discipline and high academic/ athletic expectations;
- To encourage student/athletes to stay "on line" for graduation.
ACADEMIC STANDARDS: The following standards must be met in order for a student to remain eligible for athletic competition:
- Maintain enrollment in a minimum of 30 credit hours per semester (semester of competition and preceding semester). Exception: A second semester senior who is already on line to graduate, may take just 20 credit hours during second semester; (An average of at least 30 credit hours per semester is necessary in order to graduate in 3 years.);
- Must have passed a minimum of 25 credit hours the preceding semester. No waivers of this rule will be allowed at any level;
- During the course of a student/athlete's competitive season, grades will be checked on a weekly basis (Fridays). Any F/U/I will result in suspension from competition for the following week. The suspension will continue as long as the F/U/I stands.
- A student withdrawing from a class with a grade of "WF" will not be penalized, IF they maintain 30 credit hours during that semester.
ATTENDANCE STANDARDS: will coincide with the Lincoln High School attendance policy.
- Truancy----Intervention -- coach
- Truancies--1 contest suspension
- Truancies--2 contest suspension
- Truancies--Suspension for remainder of season
- Tardies: An accumulation of 5 tardies will be the same as 1 truancy; 10 tardies equals 2 truancies; 15 tardies equals 3 truancies and 20 tardies equals 4 truancies refer to III A for consequences;
- A student must be in attendance for all class periods in order to participate in contests or practice that day. (Exceptions are medical appointments, school business/activities, or prearranged absences, as approved by Lincoln High School.)
- A student may not participate in practices or contests while serving an in-school, or out-of-school suspension.
- Students may not possess, or consume alcohol, drugs, or tobacco during the season, or at any school function. Consequences for violations are as follows:
- First Offense:
- Exclusion, for 15 days (excluding Sundays), from attendance at all school athletic events. If the violation should occur at the conclusion of one sports season, it shall commence, or carry over to the start of the next season of participation;
- The student may be required to attend all team practices, as determined by the head coach and athletic director;
- Automatic SCIP referral for use of alcohol or drugs.
- Second Offense:
- Exclusion from athletic participation for the remainder of the current school year.
- Third Offense:
- Exclusion from further athletic participation while enrolled at Lincoln High School.
- Theft, vandalism, illegal and, or unethical behavior (in school or out of school) is unacceptable. Upon evidence of such behavior the student will be removed from the sport and will be subject to review by the Athletic Control Board* for appropriate action.
- Athletes will be required to follow additional rules and guidelines established by the coach of his/her squad, as approved by the athletic director. Violations of these rules will be handled at the discretion of the coach. In the case of repeated minor violations, insubordination, or severe violations, the student may be suspended from participation, or removed from the squad.
IMPORTANT: All rules dealing with Citizenship Standards, are accumulative, which means that a violation during a student's first year as a member of a LHS athletic program, will count as that student's first violation during the remaining years of enrollment at Lincoln High.
*All appeals will be heard by the Athletic Control Board.
**The Athletic Control Board shall be comprised of the Athletic Director the Head Coach of the student at the time of the violation, the Assistant to the Athletic Director and a member of the Lincoln High counseling department.